Sunday, August 22, 2010

Walk Tall, You're A Daughter of God

There are ups and downs in everyone's life. This week I had many more "ups" than "downs." It was needed, and I feel spiritually recharged. I feel motivated to read my scriptures. I feel enthusiastic about my mission in life. I'm determined to be a good wife, mother and attorney.

We raced through Nevada on Saturday to make Stake Conference on time. While the adult session was good, I particularly enjoyed the general session where the Young Women sang the familiar song, "Walk Tall, You're a Daughter of God." In the same session one speaker mentioned how his daughter had a congenital heart defect that caused a brush with death. She dropped to the floor quite quickly. She received a priesthood blessing on the spot (from a member vice principal), and lives on today.

She's very lucky. It was nearly 13 years ago when a good friend of mine, April Thomas, died from the same congenital heart defect.

We had just returned from a Youth Conference trip to Kirtland, Ohio. April and I wandered into the orchard and read the dedicatory prayer to the Kirtland temple. It was sacred and special. That fall she went off to college. It was only a few days into the school year when we were pulled together after seminary and told that she had died suddenly (she dropped to the ground after a round of B-ball. She always was a rather violent B-ball player -- fun times -- but it wasn't the b-ball that killed her. It was her defective heart). I remember singing this song at her funeral, feeling so close to my friends, to April and to God. It was an awakening, of sorts, to my own mortality, and the first of many conversion moments.

Walk Tall, You're A Daughter of God

By: Jamie Glenn

Right now I have a prayer deep within my heart,
A prayer for each of you there is a special part.
That you remember who you are and him who lives above.
Please seek for him and live his way; You'll feel his love.

(chorus) Walk tall, you're a daughter, a child of God.
Be strong and remember who you are.
Try to understand, you're part of his great plan.
He's closer than you know, Reach up; he'll take your hand.

Long before the time you can remember, Our Father held you in his arms so tender.
Those loving arms released you as he sent you down to earth.
He said, "My child, I love you. Don't forget your great worth."

(chorus) Walk tall, you're a daughter, a child of God.
Be strong and remember who you are.
Try to understand, you're part of his great plan.
He's closer than you know, Reach up; he'll take your hand.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing sarah. I think of april often and how fantastic she would be as an aunt and probably a mother. How nice it would be to have her advice on things because she would have gone throught it first. I see a lot of her in kayla and that really brings me joy, and yes frustration :) I know that she had a special mission and fulfilled partof it here on earth and has gone to finish the rest. Take care I love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that song, and I am sorry to hear about your friend from long ago. It is always hard to lose loved ones. Love you tons! I am glad that your racing across Nevada was a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete