Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Gospel According to Liv

We've had all of the traditional lessons. We read from the Book of Mormon. We read from the Bible. The gospel education around here is intentional. I want Liv to learn the stories of Jesus. We've also discussed the Word of Wisdom, though not in depth. But for some reason, Liv has a fixation on alcohol. Today when reading of Judas' betrayal of Jesus, Liv was convinced it was because he drank alcohol. I assured her it was not. Going through Trader Joe's she stares at the liquor aisle with wide eyes and says to me, "Mom, that's AL-CO-HOL, and not the medicine fixing kind." So how do I do this? How to I keep her on the straight and narrow (because let's face it: there are a lot of down sides to booze) without making her into a walking judge of morality based on breathalyzer results? I guess that's just what kids do, huh? I did. But my grandfather should have listened, I tell you. He would have said the same thing. In fact, he did. With a Yuengling in his hand. Love you, Poppop.

1 comment:

  1. Laura keeps trying to convince random people not to drink coffee. I try to explain that it's not bad the way that lying or cheating or killing someone is (though they seem to be just as horrified by it). Kids just seem to think in black and white. Some don't outgrow it, but i'm pretty certain she will. :)

    ReplyDelete