Monday, September 27, 2010

Random

Whoa, it's been awhile, eh? What's going on in the life of the Berrys? Well, a lot, actually.

1. We've decided to look into adoption through LDS social services. I don't know how this is going to go. Please keep us in your prayers. There are a few concerns I have: 1) my nurse practitioner OBGYN seems hesitant to sign off on my infertility. It's only been 3 years of no pregnancy, but she wants me to undergo fertility treatments - treatments I don't want to do. I've always wanted to adopt. I don't feel the absolute need to have another biological child. But she didn't have a good adoption experience (or so she informed me). 2). Adoption, no matter the route, is an expensive endeavor. My firm is up and running with some good income. We're doing everything we can to set aside the necessary funds. It's not easy. We're praying for financial miracles here.

2. I sold my bassoon. (financial miracle, I say yes). At first I was devastated by the thought of selling my bassoon. But when I thought about it: I loved the idea of playing it more than I actually played it. I practiced it diligently for 4 years in HS and took lessons for 2 years in college, from a teacher I really liked. But there came a time when I had to make some decisions. Difficult decisions about how and where I was going to spend my time. It was not with the bassoon. And there it was, sitting there, worth more than a car. It was time to sell it and move on. Check.

3. Olivia started kindergarten. I have pictures around here somewhere. She seems to be right in the middle of the pack academically. I'm okay with that. I fear that her being too old would bore her and watching her struggle to keep pace would be frustrating. Middle is perfect for her right now. We'll continue to monitor her and make decisions as they come. Physically, she's the shrimp of the class.

4. We've decided to try and make a go here in California - permanently. I hesitate in writing this, because I said that about NJ about 2 years ago. But there it is. Perhaps it has to do with the adoption. Perhaps it's just where we need to be. We love the area. We love the people. We're surviving financially. Sure, we could own a mansion in Texas with and here we're in a crappy little apartment, but for now -- it's where we need to be. This was and is a hard decision to make, mostly because of the difficult cost of living issue. We have friends we'd love to live near. I would love to own a nice house. Those plans are on hold.

So there it is: I've been busy. Busy with work. Busy pondering our future and figuring out where we want to be and how we want to grow our little family. Busy watching over Liv. Busy praying and pleading with the Lord that we'll make the right decisions, see miracles and be in the right place, at the right time doing the right things.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like life is keeping you busy. Good luck with the adoption process. I've had a lot of friends try for it, with varying degrees of success. One friend of mine actually has taken the route of foster care to adopt. Another has found lots of success (two children, a few years apart) by searching on their own across the country for a birth mother wanting to give their child up for adoption. In their experience, the more proactive you are at networking, the more successful you are at finding a child to adopt. Anyway, I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been up to a lot. I'll keep you in my prayers too and hope for a great adoption process (Becky Tiffany has a blog and addresses some adoption issues-- I'll try to find the url). We're trying to figure out this year where we're going to live and what we're going to do when we grow up. It's hard. How does one go about selling a bassoon? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the adoption! I'm glad to see that you're enjoying life in CA so much that it might be permanent. I don't know if I feel the same way about UT, but it would be hard to uproot the kids again, so . . . sigh.

    ReplyDelete